Dear parents and potential sponsors,
South Highlands Elementary Magnet school has been ranked the top elementary school in the state of Louisiana. We all have a great sense of pride for our school, and we want to do what we can to remain at the top of the rankings; however, with success come challenges. SHM is often not considered as “a school in need” by the Caddo Parish School Board when funding is appropriated for requested projects. A little over a decade ago, a group of concerned parents created a board of trustees named the South Highlands Foundation. The sole purpose of this board was to create revenue that can be utilized by the school to help fund projects identified by the Principal and faculty as necessary to further the development of the school.
There are three ways that the Foundation raises money:
- Membership campaign. Membership is all-inclusive and is achieved by parents of SHM students who make a tax-deductible donations of any amount. These dollars are always utilized during the same school year, on needs that are identified by the board prior to the start of the year.
- Sponsorships. There are three levels of corporate sponsorships available, and these sponsorships fund our Trust. The trust is comprised of money that is saved by the Foundation, and is used as needed to fund large projects for the school. The Trust was originally created to serve the school in times of need when other funding is not available.
- Tiger Trot is an annual 5K and fun run that provides sponsorship opportunities and raises money through entry fees from participants in the race.
Over the past two years, the Foundation has purchased the following for SHM: 70 inch smart interactive TV’s to go in each classroom replacing SmartBoards; ChromeBooks for the 5th grade students to utilize for standardized test preparation; the first phase of an outdoor classroom including garden space and outdoor learning space; and the first of two substantial payments to fund “Microsociety” that will be integrated in the SHM learning curriculum this school year.
For the 2018-2019 school year, we have identified the following primary goals for the Foundation:
- Finish placing smart TV’s in 3 remaining classrooms $12,000
- Purchase another set of Chromebooks for the 4th grade classrooms $5,000
- Make the second of two payments for the Microsociety curriculum $12,000
- Generate further funding for the outdoor classroom project (amount to be determined)
We feel these goals are attainable, and we look forward to fundraising for the purpose of achieving these goals. Thank you in advance for supporting South Highlands Elementary Magnet with your generous donations. This school is able to stay the highest ranked elementary school in the state because of your generosity.
Have a great school year, and GO SHM TIGERS!
Richard Tubre, President of South Highlands Foundation 2018-19
CLICK HERE to download the entire Foundation packet, including a commitment form to sign up today!